Arreaza Law Firm, LLC.
320 West Oakland Park Blvd.
Wilton Manors, Fl 33311

Civil Law

  • administrative law
  • arbitration
  • business law
  • business litigation
  • civil law
  • commercial lawyer
  • contract labor law
  • contract law
  • contract law attorney
  • contract law consideration
  • corporate attorney
  • corporate law
  • corporate law firms
  • corporate laws
  • corporate lawyers
  • corporations law
  • financial law
  • lawyer commercial
  • public law
  • regulatory law
  • transactional law
  • what is a contract
  • what is business law
  • what is civil law
  • what is commercial law
  • what is corporate law
  • work injury compensation
  • workers compensation

back to our practice areas

The solution to your civil law matter begins here

If you have arrived at this web page chances are that you or someone close to you is being sued or are considering suing someone as a result of their actions against you. You’ve come to the right place. The Arreaza law firm has been involved in every aspect of civil litigation for over 17 years. Civil litigation covers lawsuit that are over money and other relief that does not include criminal matters. It is a complicated area. Many people attempt these matters on their own. It usually prove to be frustrating. At the Arreaza law firm we walk you through the process in an effort to arrive at the best possible conclusion. In an effort to simplify the process we have created this web page. In the following paragraph we will give you an example of how the process works. This may answer many of your questions. If you would would like an individual opinion specific to your situation we have a section where you could send us your questions. We will look it over and send you back an opinion.


The process begins by someone deciding that they are going to initiate a lawsuit. This is done because of many reasons, ranging from the loss of money to someone just feeling wronged. You and your attorney will decide the cause of action that you will be suing for and then a complaint will be prepared. The first decision to make after preparing the complaint is where to file the lawsuit. If you are suing for less then $15,000.00 then the lawsuit will be filed in county court. If you are suing for more then $15,00.00 or other specific reasons outlined by the Florida rules of civil procedure then the lawsuit will be filed in circuit court. TA filing fee will be required to file a lawsuit. The amount to be paid will depend on where the lawsuit is filed. Once the lawsuit is filed it will be taken to the person being sued by a process server. This is called being “served”. The person suing is called the “plaintiff”. The person being sued is called the “ the defendant”. Once the defendant is served they will have 20 days to answer the complaint. The defendant will have several choices on how to answer the complaint. They could file a motion challenging the validity of the lawsuit from a technical point by filing a motion, could answer and counterclaim or just answer. If the defendant files a counterclaim then the plaintiff now becomes a defendant and they will have to file an answer to your claim.

After the complaint is answer the process of discovery will begin. The parties will be able to file documents that will require the other side to turn over information. They are request for admissions, request to produce, and interrogatories. Once this information is received by the party requesting the information then the party receiving information will set up what is called a deposition. This is when the party will have to answer questions under oath. The only answers that they will not have to answer is what is found to be privileged information. Once the deposition is completed the aprties will be given an opportunity to order the transcript of the deposition. This transcript is order to have this information to use at trial, to remind the party of what was said or just to help them in the attorneys in deciding how to proceed with case. At this point the parties can announce to the court that they are ready for trial. This is usually done by filing a notice for trial. Once the notice is filed the judge will prepare a pretrial order and will more then likely order mediation prior to trial. If mediation does not succeed then you will go forward with trial.

Tell us about your case.